This unique summer camp, Pianopalooza, is geared toward piano students who wish to explore the world of piano duets. Students will be paired by ability and personality. The instructor will give guidance on a number of topics related to playing with a duet partner including:
- How to skillfully begin and end a piece of music
- How to choreograph smooth hand movements
- How to play together in a variety of musical styles, and much more!
Students will have the opportunity to play several styles of music and improve their ability to sight-read music in a fun and laid-back atmosphere. They will learn how to work together with a partner to bring out the best musical results. Music for four-hands at one piano will be explored as well as music for two pianos.
Pianopalooza Duet Camp!
Ages: 7 – 18
Dates: June 26 – June 30
Time: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Instructors: Weiying Tang, Nayoung Choi
Location: The Music Tree
For students of all levels
The following musical styles are covered: classical piano duets, symphonic transcriptions, blues, and popular film music. Students will also learn how to create their own duet parts (accompanying a melody). Each duo will get the opportunity to showcase their work in a live performance.
On Day 1, Each student will play a solo and then students will be paired according to skill level.
Days 2-4 Agenda of fun activities:
- 9:00-9:15 – Arrival (lobby), talk with students, intro to the topic of the day (i.e., How to practice together, how not to crash into your piano duet partner, etc.)
- 9:15-9:50 – Practice in pairs in four piano rooms. The instructor visits each room and gives pointers to students. Students engage in peer learning while challenging each other to learn their parts.
- 9:50-10:00 – Break (ensemble room), discussion about challenging spots in the music.
- 10:00-10:45 – Play “Rhythm Bingo,” “Musical Masterpiece,” “Rhythm Race,” “Music Bowls,” and other games.
- 10:45-11:45 – Training of aural skills and sight reading, resume practice in pairs (change rooms)
- 11:45-12:15 – Lunch break (students will bring a snack or lunch).
- 12:15-12:50 – Each duo performs their pieces for the rest of the class.
- 12:50-1:00 – Wrap up. Dismissal.
Day 5- Preparation for a live performance.
The concluding performance will be held July 1 at 5 p.m.